Dr. David H. Sherman
Co-Founder and Co-Managing Partner,
PharmaForensics Laboratories co-founder, Dr. David H. Sherman, is a world-renowned leader in the multidisciplinary field of drug discovery, natural products, and synthetic chemistry and biosynthesis. He is also a prolific author of research publications and review articles in high-profile chemistry and biochemistry journals. As the Hans W. Vahlteich Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, Professor of Chemistry and Professor of Microbiology & Immunology at the University of Michigan, Dr. Sherman brings valuable interdisciplinary insight and expertise to the clients of PharmaForensics Laboratories and their intellectual property matters.
For more than a decade, Dr. Sherman has served as an expert witness and technical consultant on a wide variety of pharmaceutical and biotechnology-related technology matters. He has broad experience testifying at depositions, bench and jury trials and arbitrations.
Education and Professional Experience
Professor, University of Michigan, 2003 - present
Professor, University of Minnesota, 1990 - 2003
Research Scientist, John Innes Institute, Norwich UK, 1987 - 1990
Research Scientist, Biogen Research Corp. 1984 - 1987
Post Doctoral Fellow, MIT 1982 - 1984
Post Doctoral Fellow, Yale University 1981 - 1982
PhD, Organic Chemistry, Columbia University 1981
BA, Chemistry, University of California, Santa Cruz 1978
Honors and Awards
2009 Charles Thom Award, Society for Industrial Microbiology
2009 A. C. Cope Scholar Award, American Chemical Society
2008 Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
2007-Present Hans W. Vahlteich Professorship, University of Michigan
1982-1984 National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Li, S., Podust, L. M. and Sherman, D. H. 2007. Engineering and analysis of a self-sufficient biosynthetic cytochrome P450 PikC fused to the RhFRED reductase domain. Amer. Chem. Soc. 129: 12940-12941.
- Gu, L., Wang, B., Kulkarni, A, Geders, T. W., Grindberg, R. V., Gerwick, L., Håkansson, K., Wipf, P., Smith, J. L., Gerwick, W. H. and Sherman, D. H. 2009. Metamorphic enzyme assembly in polyketide diversification. Nature 459:731-735.
- Mortison, J. D., Kittendorf, J. D. and Sherman, D. H. 2009. Synthesis and biochemical analysis of complex chain-elongation intermediates for interrogation of the erythromycin and pikromycin modular polyketide synthases. Amer. Chem. Soc. 131(43):15784-15793.
- Tripathi, A.; Schofield, M.M.; Chlipala, G.E.; Schultz, P.J.; Yim, I.; Newmister, S.A.; Nusca, T.D.; Scaglione, J.B.; Hanna, P.C.; Tamayo-Castillo, G.; Sherman, D.H. 2014. Baulamycins A and B, broad-spectrum antibiotics identified as inhibitors of siderophore biosynthesis in Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus anthracis. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 136(4):1579-1586.
Representative Examples of Intellectual Property Engagements
- Augmentin Trade Secret Litigation, GSK vs Biochemie (2002-2003)
- Allergan v. Barr Laboratories/Teva and Sandoz (2010-2011)
- Senju Pharmaceutical Co. LTD. Kyorin Pharmaceutical Co., LTD. and Allergan, Inc. v. Lupin Limited and Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Hi-Tech Pharmacal (2013)
- Sandra Pohlman v Alcon, Ltd. (2013)